- 4 ozs butter
- 4 ozs sugar
- 8 ozs flour
- 4 tbsps golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsps mixed spice
- 3 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Sieve together the flour,salt,spices,baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Rub in the butter and add the sugar.
- Spoon the syrup into a cup, stand in shallow water in a pan and heat gently until soft.Pour the liquid syrup on to the other ingredients and work in thoroughly.
- Flour the hands and roll the mixture into small balls.
- Place on a greased baking tray, well spaced out.
- Bake at 400f, moving the biscuits from the top to the bottom shelf of the oven the moment they begin to brown.